Monday, August 13, 2007

I've been turkey basted!

Today was the big day! I choose to believe that this is the day that we have conceived our baby. I feel really good about this whole process. Let me rewind a couple of days, back to the day we triggered.

Saturday was the day we were to trigger at 9:30pm. Before this, we met friends for dinner at Cheesecake Factory...yummy! I was fully aware that we were on a strict time restraint. I knew that we'd have to wait awhile to be seated, so I was pretty calm when we were told it would be a 60 minute wait. Actually, this was pretty good for CF! We were seated and ordered our food soon after. We waited and waited and waited. I kept asking Chad what time it was since we needed to be back by 9:30. I'm sure that our friends thought I was a freak and really didn't want to be there, since I kept a time table going the entire time! An hour and a half later, our food came. Seriously, ridiculous. We devoured our meal and skipped the cheesecake. On our race home (it's past 9:30 at this point) I kept reasoning with myself. I knew that the IUI has the best chance if it is timed perfectly with ovulation. My appointment for IUI was a 9am the following Monday, so I knew we needed to get the trigger done ASAP. Finally, I took a deep breath and turned it over to God. There wasn't a darn thing I could do to get us back any sooner. Trust me, I tried telepathically sending us home a couple of times. So, I said a little prayer that God knew what he was doing and remembered what a wonderful time we had visiting our friends and I just relaxed.

Anyone who knows me well, is fully aware of my fear of needles. Actually, to say fear, is a mild explanation. I kid you not, I was flipping out in my head over this trigger shot. Chad tried to reassure me that he had done this before, but his eyes read differently. He actually did a great job, and kindly explained afterwards that this was his first real shot that he'd ever given...no kidding.

The wait began. I was a nervous wreck that somehow I'd ovulate too early. I ALWAYS ovulate on cd12 or 13 on clomid. I just had to make it one more day and I'd be golden. Luckily, I had a lot going on to keep my mind busy, ie my cousins riding their 4 wheelers around the yard...fun family moments. It was actually a great learning experience. I realized that my "little" cousins, are all grown up and my "littlest" cousin, Eli, actually has a calmer, less spastic side to him. I mean, he's never been spastic like ADHD spastic, but he's a goof ball. So, I won't say that I wasn't FREAKING out when he took Ayden around the yard for a ride. But, like I said, it took my mind off of other pressing issues, so I was grateful! Love ya Eli!

When I laid down to sleep last night, I realized that I had made it. I didn't ovulate early. I was still in massive pain from the eggs hanging off my ovaries. Rock on!

We got up at 6:30am and headed to the "collection" lab. I can definitely say it was one of the oddest places that I've gone. There was another woman, about my age, in the waiting room waiting on her husband. I felt like we transformed into a couple of school girls, giggling every time a man went into the back office. "We know what your doing!" Seriously, it was weird. Weider yet, was looking at the men when they left the office. Icky!

When Chad was done leaving his "sample" to be washed and analyzed (what a lovely job that would be) we went and got breakfast. It was then that I realized that my appointment was at 9am but I didn't trigger until 9:50pm a couple nights ago. Yes, I freaked over 50 minutes. I just wanted the entire thing to be perfect. Again, I said a little prayer that God knew what he was up to, and left it in His hands.

We arrived at the office at 8:45 and waited with all of the other patients who had put all of their hopes of becoming parents in the skilled hands of these doctors. You could feel the excitement of some and the apprehension of others, who had been let down too many months before. I watched the clock go past 9am. Then, before I knew it it was 9:30. I still hadn't felt myself ovulate. Could this really be working out so perfectly. I had this peace about me that I really have never felt before. I was actually calm. We were called back a little after 9:30 and went to the room where we would be inseminated. I was a little nervous about the procedure. I had heard from other women that it was really painful. But, hey, I've had a baby and been through labor twice, technically, and survived just fine. There couldn't be a pain more severe than that!

Our RE came in at 9:45 and read us the information on Chad's boys. They would be injecting 33 million perfectly awesome swimmers. Up in the stirrups I went..."OH, your mucus is BEAUTIFUL! Go tell all your friends!" Only a RE could make something so repulsive sound so wonderful! Next, I heard, "Swim boys, SWIM!" It was over, that was it. I didn't even know he had started and it was over. And then mere seconds after the RE left the exam room, I felt a pop and a burn and I knew that I was ovulating. Perfect timing. Thank you God.

Now I'm in the 2ww, which for most ttc'ers is the hardest part of the waiting game. I plan on taking it easy for the next week and thinking fertile thoughts. So...swim boys, swim!

No comments: