Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Oprah Today

On Oprah today, there was a 31 year old woman who is struggling with infertility. I was sure that it would be a tear jerker, as I would probably be able to relate with this woman on so many levels. She is after all, a teacher, like myself, who adores children. As I was watching her inject herself with hormones and get ready for IVF, I realized that, aside from teaching, the two of us had very little in common. Sure, I could empathize with her need for a child, as well as her miscarriage at 11 weeks. But, as I sat there watching her, terrified of never having children, I began to feel so incredible guilty.

As a child, my dream was to be a teacher and a mother. I realized, watching Oprah today, that I am both of those things. Just because I have one child and not multiple children, that doesn't make me any less of a mother. Quite frankly, if I were judged on a scale, I'd prefer to think I am a pretty damn' good mother. I mean, I only had one of the best mothers in the world to teach me.

So, I guess my lesson from today is, I am blessed and lucky to have the one perfect child that I do have. I am not really struggling to become a mother, like I'd had believed. It was kind of a relief to come to this realization, really.

As I wait for this coming IUI to get underway, I actually feel calm and truly blessed. Finally, something good has come out of all of this infertility stuff.

No comments: